Thursday, January 13, 2011

Purchasing a Home...

Last April Ben and I decided to buy a house. It was a HUGE MASSIVE decision that was really exciting at first. Unfortunately I was in school so didn't have a chance to even see the house before we bought it. But Ben did and thought it would be a good first start home. Of course he said it needed a lot of work but he seemed extremely hopeful it wouldn't take to long to have the basement finished and ready for people to move in to help with our mortgage payments every month.

I knew this wasn't true as soon as we took possession of the house and I finally got to take a walk through and see just how much work was ahead of us.
I definitely wasn't ready for the overwhelming responsibilities that a house brings. I didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure what exactly it means when you become a home owner and on top of it all renoing a house and making a suite from scratch in the basement. We went from paying rent of $850 a month which included everything and that was it to now everything you have to pay in to your home. It all adds up, mortgage, gas, hydro, the reno and saving money for our property tax....AHHHHHHHH
It has been a very difficult transition for me from renting to buying a reno home. All I keep thinking about is how I am only 23years old and have all this responsibility. I have been struggling since we bought the house to look at the positive aspects of being a home owner.
Since I have started to see the house come along and progress is being made I am really starting to see it come together. I am finally starting to love my house and imagine the end of it all.
I am actually starting to get excited about designing the rooms and what the finished house is going to look like. I have decided that instead of concentrating on what needs to be done on the house I started a design book of what I would like each room to look like. I have put in the book pictures of furniture, layout plans and just overall looks of what I want to see in my house. Doing that keeps my mind off of where exactly the house is at right now. Progress seems slow but I have to be patient and understanding. I know that Ben is doing a great job and is working as hard as he can. Since he is doing the reno himself in order to save us money he either works during his days off or a few extra hours either before work or after work. So instead of nagging him about getting the house done I am looking on the positive exciting part of the house which is the design of everything and the gorgeous finished house that we own!

Some home shows I enjoying watching are:
     - Disaster DIY
     - Holmes on Homes
     - Design 101
     - Designed to Sell
     - Marriage Under Construction
There are a few more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment