Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hockey Fanatic.......

I absolutely LOVE hockey. Just thought I would point out that obvious fact if you haven't seen my Facebook page throughout the playoffs. It all started when I began playing at the ripe age of six. My parents asked me what sport I'd like to play and of course following in my big brothers foot steps I was quick to say "Hockey of course.... but not with girls." That was the truth, I didn't want to play on a girls team I wanted to play with the boys.  My parents without objection signed me up for an all boys league for pee wees. It was great, I got to learn the rules and skate like my big bros on the really big ice! I remained playing on an all boys team until I was 12 years old. At 12 it was getting awkward in the change room.... so I decided to quit and just play school sports. But my love for the game never stopped.

As far as following professional hockey I started out loving the Canucks as they were the home team and that's who my parents cheered for. Three years ago though I took a trip to Chicago with my dad. He always likes to go to sporting events in other cities across Canada and the US (if the tickets are reasonable). One of the many things he enjoys experiencing. It turned out that when we were there it was the start of the season and there was much buzz around town of the new young guns signed to the team. "They were all young, go getters with lots of heart!" I liked the sounds of it and was excited to head to United Centre to watch the Blackhawks play Detroit Red Wings. Of course I was expecting the Red Wings to destroy the Blackhawks. But interestingly enough, after 3 periods of non stop hitting and great hockey it was tied 3-3. The Blackhawks ended up pulling it out in the end in OT. It was an AWESOME game and after that they had my heart! I loved the Chicago Blackhawks!

When I got home I did some research on the team and found out that half the team were Canadians (3 from BC alone) as well as majority of the team were under 25 years old. I LOVED IT. They were the under dogs. Also I started to love the rivalry they brought to Vancouver. The Canucks hated the Blackhawks which helped my heart grow fonder of the Hawks. Well enough about all of that the reason why I am writing this blog is because when I was at Game 7 Canucks vs Hawks I ran in to some horrible Canucks fans. They were terrible winners and were extremely inappropriate at the end of the game. The way the two men acted made me dislike the Canucks fans....how DARE they be so rude even after they won. But I must admit that I don't like most Canucks fans (half of them don't know a thing about hockey). This is slowly changing though, I watched on CTV news about the guys always dressed in green spandex suits at Canucks games. They have been told by the NHL that they have some strict rules etc of what they are not allowed to do. I think this is ridiculous. These guys are HILARIOUS.... I mean at the Canucks vs Hawks games they have Vince Vaughn dressed up in a Canucks jersey and since they have been playing the Nashville Predators they have Carrie Underwood also dressed up in a Canucks jersey. These guys have some serious heart. I commend them and think they are bringing some great excitement for everyone to the games.

Here is the story from the Province: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Riding+Green+wave/4716465/story.html

Green Guys on Global News:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUrpsM7N4yc&feature=related

As well as here is some youtube videos of their amazing antics!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXvwG8xKJI&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment