Thursday, May 19, 2011

First Attempt to Becoming Vegetarian

For the last three weeks I have been having some interesting aabdominal/bowel issues. I have gone for tests but am now going to be waiting at least 4-6 weeks for a colonoscopy. Apparently it will be the only way to see what is happening. I have had xrays, ultrasounds, blood tests and various other tests and they have not shown anything.
Now that the I have to sit and wait to see the specialist my doctor has advised me of a few things I can do in the meantime so I can show the specialist what I have done to my diet to see what helps and what doesn't. Firstly I need to start keeping a food journal. Along with journal all my food intake, time and exactly what was in it I need to start taking out certain foods to see if it will ease my pain. The first of his suggestions was meat and dairy. Both are sometimes hard to digest in adults. Dairy especially.... I know lots of people have choice words about dairy but as per my doctor 90% of adults can not properly digest dairy. This is his stats I am sure you can find stats out there that suggest dairy is healthy for all adults.
I am taking my doctors advice and cutting out dairy and started to drink Almond Milk. It is not that bad, of course it does take some time getting use to. At first it has a very earthy taste to it but after it while it tastes just fine.
Now my next big hurdle is taking out Meat.... AHHHH that leaves me with vegetarian alternatives such as tofu, veggie ground round etc. This is especially hard since my husband is an EXTREME meat eater. He loves a good hearty steak (and so do I).
Tonight was my first attempt at making two separate meals, one vegetarian for me and one meat filled for Ben. I decided to make a simple meal like spaghetti. Just to see how I fare with trying to organize two different meals. First I made the sauce with organic tomatoe sauce, organic diced tomatoes, low-sodium tomatoe paste. I added minced garlic, red peppers and onions. At last I added spices such as oregano, tarragon and marjoram and let it all simmer for a few hours.
After that I took the lean ground beef and browned it. Then I took the veggie ground round and warmed it up. Once the sauce was perfect I put some in to the beef and some in to the veggie ground round. Let them both simmer for another hour. I made whole wheat noodles. Once those were all done it was all ready to eat. Of course making two meals was a little difficult and it was only a simple meal. It did turn out great though. The spaghetti with veggie ground round was very very tasty. I liked it better than meat spaghetti. It's going to be interesting learning how to cook vegetarian for myself. I must admit I always like a good hamburger but I have heard there are some great veggie burgers out there as well.
Today I am off to see a Naturopath in the hopes of getting a better understanding of what is good and bad for my body. They will do various blood analysis. Hopefully will help with all my problems going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment