Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Volunteering

My previous job working at a hotel restaurant was really tough. I didn't get much time to do things other than work. The hospitality business is full of working nights as well as working on call and potentially 6 days a week. I decided to quit because the job was extremely draining and left me with no extra time. I went from working two jobs to only working part-time with my dad. Of course money is a little tight with only working part-time but the great things is that it gives me extra time to get involved in other things as well as spend more time at home. I decided that volunteering my time in some sort of recreational program would be something I would enjoy as well as let me feel as though I am giving back.

After a little research in to different volunteer programs that are currently available, I applied for the volunteer program at the Burnaby Youth Custody Centre. After a written application and intense interview I was accepted in to the program. I work with youths from the ages of 12-17 who are in secured custody for anything from robbery to manslaughter (a tad scary I know). Right now I am doing the recreational program so we play sports for 2 hours. Anything from basketball or volleyball to floor hockey and sometimes California kick ball. It's really fun and now that has been a few months the youths are starting to open up to me. I also have more courage to ask them questions and try to help them with things they are struggling with.

Today I start a new program, it's the cooking program. It's a two hour cooking program for the boys in custody. The programs in jail revolve around teaching the youths life skills while they are in custody. Most of these kids have no guidance at home so it is imperative to teach them skils so they could potentially live on their own (away from families) once they are released from custody.

I really do feel for some of these kids. They have had no guidance in their lives from the very beginning. You are a product of your upbringing and unfortunately these kids don't have positive and caring role models in their lives. I am really hoping to be a good role model and help these kids think about what they would like to do once they are out of custody and can work towards becoming a productive part of society. Of course I am not allowed to disclose any information about what I learn at the centre but if you did hear some of the things these kids talk about anyone would be shocked. It's extremely sad and unfortunately most of the kids who are in custody once they are released will most likely end up back in custody. I have already seen two girls be released and end up back in custody within a month.

It definitely is a difficult volunteer program at times but I do pray each and every time before I go in to the centre that those kids will see something different in me and will want to ask questions and change their lives.

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa this is so neat. I'm glad you get to be involved in such an amazing way. All the influencing you get to do (probably a lot without even knowing it). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete